The famous Michaelstein Abbey is located right outside our front door. It was a monastery from 1146 to 1544, and the Cistercians cultivated the land with skill. The history of our ponds dates right back to this period. Here the monks bred delicious fish such as rudd, roach, pike, tench and trout for their own consumption.
The "Klosterfischer" building and the former sheep barn were constructed in 1720. The property was used as a mill and brewery until 1870, and today’s restaurant later served as living quarters for the master fisherman of Duke August von Braunschweig.
The Zordel family obtained the building and ponds in 1993, continuing the monks’ tradition even today.